Project Estimator – Commercial Construction
Buffalo, NY 14201
Expedite timely, accurate project cost budgets in a standardized CSI format utilizing historical data, unit pricing, subcontractor/vendor proposals and or crews and methods as discussed with management.
Principle duties and responsibilities:
1. Obtain, distribute and manage plans or specifications as directed by supervisor for proposed projects expedited by Design Services Group (DSG).
2. Review and obtain knowledge of all conceptual aspects of a proposed project including but not limited to technical requirements, general conditions, details, plans, products, equipment and tenant work per the lease agreement.
3. Field verifies conditions at the proposed site when appropriate.
4. Accurately prepare a detailed cost estimate of all aspects of a proposed project including but not limited to quantity take off, detailed cost estimate, item and subcontractor summary by division.
5. Review and defend the summarized budget with supervisor before release or distribution.
6. Set up and administrate all pre-bid meetings for associated Subcontractors and/or vendors.
7. Solicit prices from all pre-qualified Subcontractors and Vendors.
8. Break each proposed project down into logical bid packages for cost effective pricing.
9. Act as liaison between DSG and all Subcontractors/Vendors Pre and Post Bid.
10. Act as technical advisor to the Administrative Assistant & Field Tech.
11. Create the applicable submittal registry to be expedited and maintained by the Administrative Assistant or Field Tech.
12. Prepare Cost Code breakdown for Accounting job cost set up.
13. Assist Director of Construction with all project buyouts.
14. Prepare preliminary schedule information and resource requirements for Project Backlog Summary posting.
15. Provide detailed scope breakdown to Director of Construction for incorporation into applicable contracts or purchase orders.
16. Provide periodic job cost information updates to Architect, Executive Level for their use.
17. Participate in pre-construction Kick Off meetings.
18. Initiate and direct a pre-construction meeting with the assigned Project Manager and Superintendent to convey all conceptual information about the subject project until it is thoroughly understood.
19. Estimate the cost of all large Change Orders for projects in progress.
20. Assist Administrative Assistant with associated project close out items.
21. Suggest Value Engineering concepts and coordinate application with the Architectural Department.
This position reports to the Director and VP of Construction (Project Manager if designated by VP). Continuous communications with contractor(s) to determine costs, review bid information, etc. Communicate with management to discuss bids and costs.
Associates degree in Engineering or Construction Management preferred, Bachelor Degree desired. Applicants with greater than 5 years’ experience without a Degree may be considered. Minimum 3 years commercial construction estimating experience with a 2 year Degree or greater than 5 years without. Computer literate with a working knowledge of Timberline estimating software (preferred), or Excel spreadsheets, word processing and scheduling.
Meet Your Recruiter
Michael DeBellis, Jr.
Recruitment professional since 1978 with disciplines in sales / marketing, engineering, manufacturing, accounting / finance, human resources and general management. Previous experience includes college recruiting, advertising / sales promotions and Fortune 500 consumer product sales. He started in the business with AFCO Personnel in 1978 and left as assistant manager in 1982 to form DeBellis Associates. Joe Catherine joined Mike in July 1983 and formed DeBellis & Catherine Associates. Longtime employee Vince Morreale was named partner in 2006 and the name changed to DeBellis, Catherine, Morreale – corporate staffing. Mike holds a BS in business management / marketing from SUNY Empire State College. Mike is a former member of the executive board of the WNY Chapter of the American Heart Association, member of the board of directors of Heritage Christian Services, past board member and vice president of the board of governors at the Park Country Club in Williamsville, NY and actively participates as a volunteer with Special Olympics and various activities with children & adults with special needs. He is an avid golfer and has published his first children’s book, called “Charlie and the Cardboard Box, ” a story about a little boy who needs to use a wheelchair. The book illustrates that despite disabilities, these kids have the same dreams and aspirations as everyone else.