Director of Construction
Buffalo, NY 14221
Our client, and expanding real estate and construction development company, is in need of a high level Construction Manager.
Department Management - Management of the day to day activities of the Construction Department, supervising personnel in the performance of their duties, maintaining working knowledge and awareness of all projects being undertaken by ICD so as to take lead accountability for ICD key performance matrices: work quality, job site safety, budget, schedule and customer service (for both internal and external customers) and to capably interact with Owner, other departments and third-party clients, when necessary.
2. Pre-Construction - In collaboration with Sr. Management and the Architecture Department, DOC (supported by his/her estimating staff or assistants), shall participate in the planning and design development of real estate projects ground up and adaptive re-use projects and tenant improvement projects to ensure that design clarity, constructability, and cost effectiveness.
3. Project Management - Serve as the Construction Project Manager for assigned projects, as company work loads may dictate from time to time.
• Coach and mentor staff, presenting oneself as a leader in terms of conduct, appearance, communication and performance. Embrace communicate and practice company core values and performance measures. “Lead by example” and hold staff accountable for commitments and deadlines.
• Manage career development of staff including conduct of annual performance reviews and periodic one-on-one discussions between annual reviews. Related thereto, aide in the development and maintenance of staff job descriptions.
• Ensure that best practices and company policies and procedures are being implemented.
• Participate in recurring Operations Team meetings to ensure interdepartmental coordination and communication regarding projects as well as administrative and operational matters. Conduct departmental meetings to disseminate corporate communications, gather information project status and potential issues, discuss methods to improve department efficiency and consistency and otherwise to build construction department unity.
• Manage staff (resource) allocation and time management (profitability within the Dept. fee structure)
• Manage the Safety Program including interaction with third-party safety consultant, staff safety training and internal safety communication.
• Nurture relationships with key subcontractors to maintain their priority interest in bidding projects. Identify and cultivate relationships with new qualified prospective subcontractors to help ensure good bid coverage for projects.
• Working closely with President & CEO to develop mastery understanding of key contracts used by ICD and assist ICD staff in negotiation of same. Review and approve all contracts prior to submission to PBI for execution.
• Oversee the estimating and bid procurement and award process, interacting with staff, as necessary, to ensure that all the work required to complete a project is being addressed in the various estimates and to ensure project will be constructed in exact compliance with the final construction estimate.
• Schedule and manage field construction crew, overseeing all completed work to ensure compliance with quality standards. Related thereto, collaborate with Director of Property Management to coordinate other miscellaneous construction and/or repair projects utilizing field crew resources.
• During construction, monitoring the project construction schedule and performance against budget via ensuring regular updating of project schedules and costs to complete by project managers as well as undertaking regular visits to construction job sites to observe quality, safety and schedule conformance.
• Participate in planning and design meetings with Owner, Sr. Management and Architecture Department, providing input regarding cost and constructability into the design development process. Coordinate the preparation of project estimates from conceptual budget estimates through schematic design estimates, design development estimates and final construction drawing estimates.
• Perform analysis of the different stages of drawings produced by the company Architecture Department (i.e., conceptual, design development, and final construction/bid documents) – Critique drawings and other documents for completeness in terms of detailing and “constructability” etc. to assure that subcontractor and material supplier bids are realistically based on the full intent of the Architecture Dept. while still being as cost effective as possible.
• Develop departmental estimating standard procedures and formats to be utilized in the assembling and pricing of conceptual budget estimates, schematic and design development estimates and final construction estimates.
• Develop estimating department standard and project specific “scopes of work” for the various (16) CSI divisions and specification sections for all projects. Develop, maintain, and modify (as necessary) a consistent system of estimating department forms, reports etc. to ensure that all estimates being assembled by the department are consistent in nature from project to project.
• Cause ICD to develop, maintain, and expand upon a corporate subcontractor/material supplier directory by CSI division and specification section. Maintain contact with database of subcontractors and material suppliers for purposes of obtaining sub bids and material quotations and source new subcontractor and material suppliers to expand database to enhance bidding coverage (3 to 5 bids each) on all portions of a project.
• Coordinate/oversee preparation of written project scopes and/or tenant work letters along with estimates completed and meet with Owner/Sr. Management and/or tenants, as required, to ensure awareness and understanding of the inclusions and exclusions within the various levels of budgeting process and ultimately during the final pricing phase of the project prior to construction.
• Oversee the bidding process for projects to ensure that that material supplier scopes of work have been assembled into appropriate bid packages for final construction estimates on negotiated and third-party construction projects and that invitations to bid, bidding instructions, and bid forms for final construction estimates on negotiated and third-party construction projects have been properly assembled. Participate in subcontractor / material supplier pre-bid meetings and project site walk-thru meetings.
• 10 to 15 years experience in commercial construction project management. Work experience with a private developer or developer/contactor a plus.
• Experience with construction of office buildings a plus; background in design helpful
• Experience at having created and implemented systems and best practices for estimating and project management
• Strong conceptual thinker; strong critical thinking skills and problem-solving ability; able to multi-task and work under pressure; strong verbal and written communication skills
• Computer Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Work, Excel, Outlook), project scheduling software.
• Degree in construction technology, engineering and/or design.
Recruitment professional since 1970 with disciplines in accounting / finance, construction management and banking, manufacturing, and human resources. He started in the business with AFCO Personnel Services in 1970 and after two years was appointed manager and then managing partner. Joe merged AFCO Personnel Services in 1983 at which time he and Mike DeBellis founded DeBellis & Catherine Associates. Joe attended SUNY at Buffalo studying liberal arts and sociology. He was active with the Niagara Falls & Buffalo Chamber of Commerce, executive committee for the Porter Cup amateur golf tournament and was on the St. Mary's Hospital Foundation Board of Directors. He is currently an active member with the Williamsville Rotary Club.